If you are soon to be the proud owner of your first home, this is an exciting time in your life. Once you own property, you have got your foot on the first rung of the wealth ladder and as the years pass, your equity will grow. As you would expect, there are maintenance tasks that need to be carried out with a family home, and with that in mind, here are a few aspects of good building maintenance.
- Roof Inspections – As the roof is the only thing that keep the elements at bay, you do need to keep your eye on things. A roof inspection twice a year is the popular solution to roof repairs and maintenance and your local roofing contractor would be happy to carry out a thorough roof inspection and issue you with a detailed report.
- Building Exterior – Whether brick, timber or concrete, the exterior of the property needs to have a level of protection, if it is to stand the test of time. The harsh Australian climate can cause havoc with a house and if in doubt, ask your local builder for his opinion.
- Swimming Pool Compliance – If the property has a pool, it must comply with the NSW State requirements (search online) and when you have made sure everything is in order, contact an approved company that offers pool inspections in Baulkham Hills and obtain that essential pool compliance certificate, which is valid for 3 years.
- Tree Care – If you have a few large trees, you need to make sure that are not impeding power and communication lines; ask a local arborist to carry out an annual prune and you are good to go. It is important to shape trees as they grow and you should also nourish them.
- Plumbing & Drainage – The drains should be power flushed every year and should be unlucky and experience a blocked drain, resist the temptation for a home fix; rather call in the professionals, who can identify the blockage and fix it. Keep your eyes open for water leaks, with faucets and pipes and any water leak needs prompt attention.
- Timber Preservation – This is a vital part of property maintenance, especially here in Australia and regular inspections are advised. Many homeowners have switched to composites for this very reason, as they last longer and do not require maintenance.
As you become more familiar with being a property owner, your talents will improve and protecting your investment will ensure future wealth.